Monday 16 April 2012

Ambleside



During the holidays I took a trip to Ambleside and took these photos. With all the old fashioned shops, rural setting and a really, really old cinema, I never expected a giant Tesco express in the middle of the town.

I was surprised at how few corporate shops there were. The few I saw were the Tesco, a Boots, a Costa and a Greggs. I wondered why corporate shops haven't broken into these markets, is it because it's only a small town and they don't see a profit? Or is there just no demand in these places?

What does everyone think about this? Is it a good thing that corporations haven't expanded out everywhere? Or would you rather see/feel there is need for certain shops everywhere?

-Claire

1 comment:

  1. Personally I think that places without corporate shops are an important part of culture - people flock to places with a 'ye olde sweet shop' for days out etc. and it's nice to not be surrounded/swamped by the same things all the time.
    I suppose from the corporations point of view it's purely because they don't see a profit and as soon as they do they'll stomp right in, even if the public don't want it. Who needs ye olde sweet shop when there's pick and mix?

    - Claire

    ReplyDelete